Submit your Rotterdam-based short film project to RTM Pitch for the chance of securing a grant of €20,000 and a premiere at IFFR. The fifth edition of the RTM Pitch has been brought forward! This year, the call is presented in the autumn rather than the spring, to allow the winner a full year to make their film. From 5 October, you can submit your plan for a film between 5 and 20 minutes long that fits well within IFFR’s DNA. The winning film receives €20,000 and will premiere at IFFR 2025, as part of the RTM programme.
RTM is IFFR's programme dedicated to Rotterdam. Films and filmmakers from the Maasstad take centre stage, both in the film selection as well as special events designed to exchange cinematic knowledge and experiences amongst local filmmakers. Expect new short-length and feature films, Rotterdam classics, events, talks, audiovisual art, video clips and installations.
With RTM Pitch, IFFR and the Municipality of Rotterdam offer a grant of €20,000 to support the production of a short film that has our home city at its heart. The three completed films made with the grant so far are: You Can’t Automate Me (2021), So Loud the Sky Can Hear Us (2022) and Fantoomwijk (2023).
How to participate
Submit your film plan from 5 October through the application form on this page, either in the form of a written director’s statement, or a three minute video pitch.
Please include a description of your story, where it takes place, your cinematographic vision, and information about yourself and your team. You may add supporting images or previous work as an attachment.
If you choose to send a video, paste the link (Vimeo or YouTube) in the field at the bottom of the form.
A jury of film experts and programmers from IFFR's Short & Mid-length film programme will evaluate the entries. We’ll then be in touch with our winner who will receive advice and coaching from an experienced producer during the development and production of the film project.
Deadline: Monday, 4 December 2023
- You are a filmmaker of at least 18 years old (early-career or established)
- You live and work in the Rotterdam region
- The city of Rotterdam plays a leading role in the setting of your film, regardless of the district
- You are able to put together your own team and work with your own producer, who will be responsible for the film’s budget
- Your film addresses a current or social theme that fits well within IFFR’s DNA
- Your film plan is original and innovative in both form and content
- Depending on the needs of the selected project, coaching will be offered for a maximum of ten half-days, up until the film's premiere
- The film doesn’t need to be in Dutch or English, the use of subtitles is permitted
- If you live in the Rotterdam region, but do not speak Dutch, feel free to submit your plan in English
- The prize is intended for one film only.
- Projects with budgets below the indicated €20,000 will not be taken into account
- You can source extra funding for the film yourself
- If you want your film to be considered for other IFFR programmes besides RTM, your film should be submitted before the general festival submissions deadline at the end of September 2024. General terms and conditions for festival submissions apply