HBF+Europe: Minority Co-production Support

Through HBF+Europe: Minority Co-production support, the Hubert Bals Fund aims to encourage European producers to participate as a minority co-producer in high-quality film projects by filmmakers from Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and parts of Eastern Europe. HBF+Europe is supported by the Creative Europe - MEDIA programme of the European Union. 

The scheme has a special spotlight on first and second feature films, but is also open to films by filmmakers more advanced in their career. The funding is designed for international co-productions, in which at least one European and one non-European producer is involved. The European producer should be the applicant and will conclude the funding agreement. Only 25% of the HBF+Europe funding has to be spent in Europe, the other 75% can be spent elsewhere. The scheme is specially designed to encourage European producers from countries with limited co-production schemes to participate. 

Key facts

  • A total of five projects can be supported per selection round.
  • The maximum amount awarded per project is €53,000. 
  • The first upcoming application deadline is 1 April 2021. 
  • The selection will be announced around three months after the deadline.
  • The project should not start production during the selection process. 
  • The contract should be finalised within 26 months of the application deadline.
  • For past selections please see HBF Results.

Requirements for submission

Only complete and eligible applications will be taken into consideration. 

Eligibility criteria and regulations

All applications for the HBF+Europe: Minority Co-production Support should be submitted by the application deadline of 1 April 2021. Applications should be submitted in digital form. The application consists of three components: a completed application form, a completed eligibility form and a project dossier. The full project dossier and eligibility form can be uploaded as an attachment to the application form in your personal account environment. Incomplete applications are not taken into consideration. 

Required documentation

Selection procedure

The HBF+Europe selection process will take a maximum of 12 weeks. The selection procedure consists of two steps: a formal assessment and a committee assessment.

Formal assessment

The HBF-staff will take in all applications and assess their eligibility by formal criteria, as mentioned under eligible projects and applicants, and financial eligibility. Only complete applications that meet the formal criteria are taken into further consideration. 

Committee assessment

After the formal assessment, the selection committee will assess the remaining applications. The selection committee will consist of six members, three of which are attached to the IFFR and three external experts. The assessment is made based on the entry form, full project dossier, additional documents and visual material and will be done using an assessment form based on pre-formulated criteria (see Award Criteria below). Scores will be given on each main selection criteria, and the maximum score will be 100 points.  

Award criteria

Announcement selection 

The selection will be announced by e-mail first, followed by a formal letter of confirmation. Projects that are not selected, will be informed by e-mail. Upon request, an overview of the average scores can be provided, as well as feedback from the HBF-staff by telephone. Although it is not possible to reconsider a decision made by the committee, it is possible to resubmit a project in the next selection round.

Contracts and payments

The payments in the scheme for HBF+Europe: Minority Co-production Support are transferred in three instalments: 50% upon signing the contract and positive verification of the total film financing and a positive verification of the eligible division of shares in the final co-production agreement, 25% upon reception of the rough-cut of the film and the final 25% upon reception and approval of the narrative and financial report and a preview copy of the final version of the film. After the selection announcement, the Fund will distribute detailed information regarding the financial instalments to the selected projects. 

Please note: The confirmation of the HBF+Europe funding expires when the complete financing of a project cannot be affirmed 9 months after the initial approval of the fund. Discrepancies can be made when drawing up the contract and/or after reception and approval of a written request for suspension.

Read more

Frequently asked questions About the Hubert Bals Fund