Skip to content
30 Jan – 9 Feb 2025

HBF+Europe: Minority Co-production Support

Through HBF+Europe: Minority Co-production support, the Hubert Bals Fund aims to encourage European producers to participate as a minority co-producer in high-quality film projects by filmmakers from Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and parts of Eastern Europe. HBF+Europe is supported by the Creative Europe – MEDIA programme of the European Union. 

Applications for the 2024 round have now closed. 

  • About the scheme

    The scheme has a special spotlight on first and second feature films, but is also open to films by filmmakers more advanced in their career.

    The funding is designed for international co-productions in which at least one European and one non-European producer is involved. The European producer should be the applicant and will conclude the funding agreement. Only 25% of the HBF+Europe funding has to be spent in Europe, the other 75% can be spent elsewhere.

    The scheme is specially designed to encourage European producers from countries with limited co-production schemes to participate.

  • Key facts

    • The maximum amount awarded per project is €60,000.
    • A maximum of 8 projects can be selected per round.
    • The selection will be announced around two months after the deadline.
    • The project should not start production during the selection process.
    • The contract should be finalised within 12 months of the application deadline.

  • Requirements for submission

    Only complete and eligible applications will be taken into consideration.

    Eligibility criteria and regulations

    HBF list of eligible countries

    All applications for the HBF+Europe: Minority Co-production Support should be submitted by the application deadline. Applications should be submitted in digital form via your online account.

    The application consists of three components: a completed application form, a completed eligibility form and a project dossier. The full project dossier and eligibility form can be uploaded as an attachment to the application form. Incomplete applications are not taken into consideration.

    Required documentation

  • Selection process

    The HBF+Europe selection process will take a maximum of 10 weeks. The selection procedure consists of two steps: a formal assessment and a committee assessment.

    1. Formal assessment

    The HBF team will take in all applications and assess their eligibility by formal criteria, as mentioned under eligible projects and applicants, and financial eligibility. Only complete applications that meet the formal criteria are taken into further consideration.

    2. Committee assessment

    After the formal assessment, the selection committee will assess the remaining applications.
    The selection committee will consist of six members, three of which are attached to the IFFR and three external experts. The assessment is made based on the entry form, full project dossier, additional documents and visual material and will be done using an assessment form based on pre-formulated criteria (see Award Criteria below).

    Scores will be given on each main selection criteria, and the maximum score will be 100 points.

    Award criteria

  • Selection announcement

    The selection will be announced by e-mail first, followed by a formal letter of confirmation. Projects that are not selected, will be informed by e-mail. Upon request and internal evaluation, an overview of the average scores can be provided, as well as feedback from the HBF-staff.

    It is not possible to reconsider a decision made by the committee, nor to resubmit a project in the next selection round or to the HBF+Europe: Post-production Support.

  • Contract and payments

    The payments in the scheme for HBF+Europe: Minority Co-production Support are transferred in three installments:

    • 50% upon signing the contract and positive verification of the total film financing and a positive verification of the eligible division of shares in the final co-production agreement;
    • 25% upon reception of the rough-cut of the film;
    • the final 25% upon reception and approval of the narrative and financial report and a preview copy of the final version of the film.

    After the selection announcement, the Fund will distribute detailed information regarding the financial installments to the selected projects.

    Please note: the confirmation of the HBF+Europe funding expires when the complete financing of a project cannot be affirmed 12 months after the initial approval of the fund. Discrepancies can be made when drawing up the contract and/or after reception and approval of a written request for suspension.

Supported by