NFF+HBF Co-production Scheme
The NFF+HBF Co-production Scheme is a collaboration between the Netherlands Film Fund and the Hubert Bals Fund. The NFF+HBF programme offers support twice a year.
In order to encourage Dutch involvement in international co-productions, as well as to help Hubert Bals Fund projects raise funds for their production, the Netherlands Film Fund and the HBF set up the Netherlands Film Fund – Hubert Bals Fund Co-production Scheme: NFF+HBF.
The Netherlands Film Fund makes available an annual amount of € 300,000 for applications from Dutch producers who can be awarded a maximum of € 75,000 production support in order to co-produce a project previously supported by the HBF. Projects eligible for the scheme are those that have been granted HBF support for Script and Project Development at an earlier stage, and which are now looking for funds to finance their production. The project must have an attached Dutch producer, who should make the application.
An overview of past selections can be found in the NFF+HBF Guide.
How to apply
Only Dutch producers can apply for financial support from NFF+HBF. Projects eligible for the NFF+HBF programme are those that have been granted HBF support for HBF Script and Project Development at an earlier stage, and that are now looking for funds to finance the production.
The NFF+HBF Guide contains all eligible projects and contact details of all eligible Dutch production companies. The latest version was updated in January 2023.
- Applicants should be made by the Dutch co-producer
- The project must have received HBF Script and Project Development support
- € 75,000 is the maximum contribution
- The maximum 10% overhead and producers fee
- 50% of the committed amount (including overhead and fee) must be spent on Dutch services, cast and crew
- The total production budget cannot exceed € 1,000,000
- The Dutch producer must have produced at least one theatrically released feature film
- Applications should be made via the Netherlands Film Fund
- Cover letter from the Dutch producer
- Updated synopsis
- Director's statement
- Script (in English)
- Total budget
- Finance plan (listing the contributions of attached partners)
- Expenditure plan of Dutch producer (written explanation)
- Company profiles of all involved producers
- Deal memo / co-production agreement(s)
- Production schedule
- Bio/filmography and links to previous work of director
- Written explanation on distribution strategy / audience engagement plan for finished film
The NFF+HBF Co-development Scheme
Besides the NFF+HBF Co-production scheme, the Hubert Bals Fund also collaborates with the Netherlands Film Fund on another scheme: the NFF+HBF Co-development scheme. Through this scheme, that was launched in January 2017, the HBF can support ten projects with Dutch co-production potential with Script and Project Development Support grant each year. The scheme is not open for applications. The projects are incorporated in the regular Script and Project Development selection. Once a selection has been made, the Hubert Bals Fund liaises with the Netherlands Film Fund in order to determine which selected projects will be supported through this scheme. The handling will be done by the HBF and the awarded grant and contract conditions are exactly the same as for regular Script and Project Development support.
Head of the Hubert Bals Fund
Jeske van der Slikke
Hubert Bals Fund Manager
Ayumi Rosa Filippone
Hubert Bals Fund Coordinator
Tiger Alert Pro newsletter
Our newsletter for film professionals worldwide.