To celebrate the extended 50th-anniversary of IFFR, we’re presenting our biggest collection yet on IFFR Unleashed. 50 films, from 50 festival editions. Each available to watch for 50 days.
IFFR Unleashed: 50/50 is a special collection made up of memorable films, classics and programmer’s favourites from a rich festival history – one film selected from every edition of IFFR. Feature-length and short films will take you from 1972, the year the festival was founded, to last year’s 2020 festival. Films will release sequentially in decades, with the first selection available to watch now.
The collection launches with eight titles from the 1970s. Including exclusives: The Cow by Dariush Mehrjui, representing the festival’s very first edition that took place at LantarenVenster with a small audience, and Adult Fun by James Scott – banned in the UK at the time of its first screening in Rotterdam – digitised for the first time. Also featuring are the cult classics The Last Movie by Dennis Hopper, Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles by Chantal Akerman. See the rest listed below.
There’s no shortage of exciting titles to follow in the next decade releases. French documentary Sans soleil (1984) by Chris Marker. Concert performance film Stop Making Sense (1985) with the Talking Heads, by Jonathan Demme. American fantasy Sleepwalk (1987) by Sara Driver. Worldwide exclusive Chronik der Anna Magdalena Bach (1989), by Jean-Marie Straub and Danièle Huillet. Dead Man (1996) directed by Jim Jarmusch and shot by Robby Müller – a film said to have inspired Kelly Reichardt’s IFFR 2021 film First Cow. Watermelon Women (1997) by Cheryl Dunye. Experimental documentary Dial H-I-S-T-O-R-Y (1998) by Johan Grimonprez. La petite vendeuse du soleil (1999), a film from Senegal by Djibril Diop Mambéty, with music by Wasis Diop, Matti Diop’s father. Zombie film Happiness of the Katakuris (2002), by Miike Takashi. A film about the closure of a cinema, Goodbye, Dragon Inn (2004) by Tsai Ming-liang. It Felt Like Love (2013) by Eliza Hittman. Ammodo Tiger Short Award winners Rubber Coated Steel (2017) by Lawrence Abu Hamdan, and Wong Ping's Fables 2 by Wong Ping (2020). And many more. See all films in the collection.
Start watching the first films now. For €4.50 per feature film or €1 per short. The collection will see you through to our IFFR 2021 festival days in June, with each film showing for 50 days, following its release – next release dates detailed below. The majority of titles are available in the Netherlands or the Benelux region. 17 selected titles listed here are available to watch worldwide.
Make sure to follow us on our social media channels where we’ll be sharing stories and words from the programmer’s around the titles as they release!
Showing now until 12 May
- Ilyich's Gate (1990) by Marlen Khutsiev – available in the Benelux
- The Tale of Zatoichi (1991) by Misumi Kenji – available in the Benelux
- Assa (1992) by Sergei Solovyov – available in the Benelux
- Dichter bij de zee (1993) by Barbara Hanlo – available worldwide
- Schramm – Into the Mind of a Serial Killer (1994) by Jörg Buttgereit – available in the Benelux
- A Touch of Zen (1995) by King Hu – available in the Benelux
- Dead Man (1996) by Jim Jarmusch – available in the Benelux
- The Watermelon Woman (1997) by Cheryl Dunye – available in the Benelux
- Dial H-I-S-T-O-R-Y (1998) by Johan Grimonprez – available worldwide
- La petite vendeuse du soleil (1999) by Djibril Diop Mambéty – available in the Benelux
Showing now until 26 May
- Mysterious Object at Noon (2000) by Apichatpong Weerasetakhul – available worldwide
- Iles flottantes (2001) by Nanouk Leopold – available worldwide
- Happiness of the Katakuris (2002) by Miike Takashi – available in the Benelux
- De bruit et de fureur (2003) by Jean-Claude – available in the Benelux
- Goodbye, Dragon Inn (2004) by Tsai Ming-liang – available in the Benelux
- A Fugitive from the Past (2005) by Uchida Tomu – available in the Benelux
- Old Joy (2006) by Kelly Reichardt – available in the Benelux
- Red Road (2007) by Andrea Arnold – available in the Benelux
- Limite (2008) by Mário Peixoto – available in the Benelux
- Los herederos (2009) by Eugenio Polgovsky – available worldwide
Showing now until 9 June
- Agua fría de mar (2010) by Paz Fábrega – available in the Benelux
- Tokyo – Ebisu (2011) by Nishikawa Tomonari – available worldwide
- O império do desejo (2012) by Carlos Reichenbach – available worldwide
- It Felt Like Love (2013) by Eliza Hitmann – available in the Benelux
- Something Must Break (2014) by Ester Martin Bergsmark – available worldwide
- Parabellum (2015) by Lukas Valenta Rinner – available worldwide
- 11 Minutes (2016) by Jerzy Skolimowski – available in the Benelux
- Rubber Coated Steel (2017) by Lawrence Abu Hamdan – available worldwide
- A passagem do cometa (2018) by Juliana Rojas – available worldwide excl. Brazil
- De nuevo otra vez (2019) by Romina Paula – available in the Benelux
- Wong Ping's Fables 2 (2020) by Wong Ping – available worldwide
Watch one film from every festival edition since 1972 in this special collection.
See from where in the world each 50/50 film can be viewed on IFFR Unleashed.