IFFR is now welcoming critics from all over the world to submit their application for the annual Young Film Critics programme. In recent years, we have taken a special interest in critics with output in mixed formats, like podcasts, video essays or other visual creative production. The next Young Film Critic programme taking place during IFFR 50th edition will be fully and exclusively online.
Trainee programme (5 to 8 candidates every year)
The programme provides a unique insight into a broad range of programmes on offer at our festival, ranging from films by well-known arthouse auteurs to more experimental and obscure cinematic gems and from art installations and performances to talks and film industry conferences.
As a trainee, you are part of the editorial team of the festival. You will have meetings with experienced film critics from different backgrounds, cover the festival for your own journalistic affiliation and be part of IFFR's editorial staff.
What you can expect
- Complimentary IFFR 2021 press accreditation
- A full schedule. IFFR aims at making trainees fully integral to the festival and lets them participate in the delivery of daily festival outlets. The trainees will form a team, hosted by the IFFR Press Office and the festival editorial staff.
- If your participation is successful and you have published reports that meet IFFR’s standards (both in quality and quantity), you get the opportunity to visit the next edition of the festival as an accredited journalist.
What we need from you
- You are under 30 years of age.
- Fluent command of the English language (written and spoken)
- Demonstrable experience in film criticism (print, video, audio or online media) + storyboard or any creative form of daily reporting
- Addresses the following topics: film review, festival review, Film Industry reports and trends, arts & culture review, masterclasses and talks review
- You’re not yet established enough to profit from privileges such as attending international film festivals outside your country
- You have made an agreement(s) with relevant print and/or online media to publish reports on International Film Festival Rotterdam 2021.
How to apply
To apply for the edition in 2021 we need you to provide us with the following*:
- Motivational letter
- Current CV
- The name and details of an affiliate for which you will cover IFFR 2021
- A recommendation letter of an editor(-in-chief) of that affiliate
- 3 pieces (written, audio or video) of recent work
*Please send all the information in one combined PDF file to [email protected]
The deadline for submitting is Wednesday 28 October 2020 Wednesday 4 November 2020