CineMart: submitting a project
- What do I apply for?
The opportunity to launch a film project to the international film industry and to find the right connections to get your projects financed. CineMart is not a fund, and does not provide financing itself. Selected projects get the opportunity to present themselves via pre-scheduled one-to-one meetings and many facilitated informal networking events, to potential co-producers, sales agents and financiers. In addition, four awards are handed out annually to projects from the CineMart selection.
- Who can apply?
In most cases, CineMart applications are submitted by the producer of the project. An application submitted by the director of the project will be accepted, as long as there is a producer attached.
CineMart is open for projects:
- That are feature films with theatrical potential (minimum length of 60 minutes);
- From all parts of the world;
- For which a complete screenplay will be available during CineMart;
- That are new or recent and have not yet made the round of all financiers and other festivals and markets;
- For which there is a potential international market;
- With artistic qualities by demonstrable talented film makers;
- And that have a producer and director attached with the capability to get the project off the ground.
- When can I apply?
It is possible to apply with a project from the first week of July. The deadline can be found here. Applications can only be processed if all necessary information has been submitted online via your personal account.
- How do I apply?
Please check out our CineMart project entry page, including the rules and regulations and deadline first.
The selection process for CineMart takes place in two phases.
After you have read and understood the CineMart rules and regulations, login to your personal account. The application form is only available through your personal account and will allow you to include detailed project information.
It is not possible to edit the form after you have submitted it to CineMart, so please be thorough and careful when filling it out.
Early October, the CineMart selection committee will reach a decision on all submitted forms. You will receive notification through e-mail if your project is pre-selected or not. It is not possible to appeal the committee’s pre-selection decisions.
If your project has been pre-selected, you are given one week to submit your full dossier (PDF or Word) by email and include previous work (online streaming). It is not possible to extend this one week period. The selection committee will reach their final decision on all pre-selected projects by early December. You can find more information on which information to deliver when having been pre-selected here.
- When will I know if I'm pre-selected?
Early October, the CineMart selection committee will reach a decision on all submitted forms. You will receive notification through email if your project is pre-selected or not. It is not possible to appeal the committee's pre-selection decisions.
- In which languages may I apply?
Application materials (and subtitles) should be in English.
- What information is required in the application form?
The CineMart application form allows you to submit detailed information about your project. The form is available in your personal account one month before the deadline.
A summary of what you need to fill out:
- Project information: Title, production country/ies, type of film, production status, goals at CineMart, logline (max. 60 words), synopsis (max. 1.500 words), director's statement (max. 1.500 words), most successful recent festival selections or awards for director and producer
- Film credits: name and contact details for director, producer and if applicable:writer, co-producer, financier, sales agent
- Technical info: Running time, shooting format, colour/b&w, languages
- Financial info: Total budget (in euro), Financing already secured (amount as well as explanatory overview)
- I am a producer/writer with a project, but no director is attached yet. Can I apply?
No. To CineMart, the vision and the talent of a director are essential when making choices. The same goes for the industry attending CineMart.
- I am a director with a project, looking for a producer. Can I apply?
CineMart is there to facilitate looking for co-producers and financiers. If you have no producer yet, most likely it is too early for you to apply to CineMart.
- What is a right stage for a project to be in to bring it to CineMart?
Presenting a project at CineMart, means launching it internationally and creating a very tangible awareness about your project. If you are not ready yet to provide the people you meet at CineMart with a script or when there is no financing in place yet, the industry attending CineMart will most likely not be in a position to come on board of your project yet.
At the same time when you are shooting already at the time of CineMart, or shooting is planned immediately after, be aware that you allow potential co-producers with very little opportunities to become a part of your project.
- What are the criteria for selection?
- The viability and artistic quality of the plans and the demonstrable talent of the director(s) and producer(s).
- The projects can be in different phases of development but they have to be new or recent and not explored all possible avenues of financing yet. The projects should be sufficiently developed to have a script ready at the time of CineMart
- A project should not have been presented at any other market or festival before, but there are exceptions. Please get in touch with us directly for a tailored answer to your situation.
- Preferably selected projects have at least 25 % of the financing in place
- Can I submit a documentary project?
The main focus of CineMart is the support of fiction features. Shorts, documentaries and films made for television will not be taken into consideration. In some cases, the CineMart selects so-called creative documentaries. These projects always have a strong cinematic approach and are films that play with fiction or have a more experimental approach. Please keep in mind that the professionals attending CineMart mainly focus on fiction features.
- I think that my project is very suitable for Art:Film, how do I get in?
There is no special procedure to apply for the Art:Film scheme. Art:Film projects follow the same procedures as other film projects submitted to the CineMart. You can submit your project via the regular application procedure, starting with filling out the online application forms.
- How do I submit my project to the Rotterdam Lab?
The Rotterdam Lab is organised by CineMart in close collaboration with various partner organisations involved in the training of young producers as well as funding bodies. In order to take part in the Rotterdam Lab, it is necessary that you affiliate yourself with one of these partnering organisations, because, instead of organizing an open selection procedure, potential participants in the Rotterdam Lab are nominated by these partners.
- Can I apply with more than one project?
Please be aware that it is highly unlikely that more than one project by the same director or producer will be selected at once. We advise you to carefully think about the project that has the most priority for you.
- Is it necessary to have financiers/partners in place?
It is strongly recommended to have at least approximately 25% of the budget in place.
- I submitted my project before to CineMart, but it was not selected. Can I submit it again?
Due to the amount of applications that CineMart receives, it is not possible to submit the same dossier twice. Applications can only be submitted more than once when the project has made substantial progress and has been invited to re-apply.
- How do I send my materials?
You start by filling out the CineMart application form in your personal account under 'Submissions'. If you are pre-selected, you will receive further instructions on how to upload your full application file to us. All materials can be sent to us digitally.
- What do you mean with most successful recent festival selections or awards for director and producer?
The application form requires you to include information about previous accomplishments of the director and the producer. It is important for us to know more about your previous work. In these fields you can summarize three important awards, selections or premieres of your work. For instance: 3 different awards for 1 film, 3 festival selections for 3 different films, 1 scholarship and two grants for 1 project, you decide!