For our celebratory 50th edition, we present a special edition of our trademark Bright Future programme. Each of our feature film programmers has selected one debut film, creating a diverse lineup made up of fresh new film talent and discoveries for the future.
Bright Future announces six world premieres, including Damascus Dreams by Montreal-based visual artist and filmmaker Émilie Serri. In the poetic essay film on Syria, Serri links the reminiscences of refugees to her family history. Slovenian mountain-set BERG by the Dutch theatre and filmmaker Joke Olthaar is a highly aesthetic landscape experience, shot in black and white. The film’s spiritual charge is further evoked by its minimalist soundscape, composed of a symphony of natural forces. Belgian artist, musician and filmmaker Bram Droulers presents Phoenix, a freewheeling film that celebrates sexual and stylistic fluidity.
There are also world premieres for Estonian director Leri Matehha’s German drama, Thomas der Hochspringer, an alienating tragicomic film about a lonely young athlete, and Chinese documentary filmmaker and photographer Wang Qiong’s seven-year autobiographical project All About My Sisters.
Detectives hunt a murderous robot in OK Computer by Indian filmmakers Pooja Shetty and Neil Pagedar, a six-part science fiction comedy which takes some serious swipes at the dangers of artificial intelligence. Artist and IFFR-regular Fern Silva is selected for his Hawaii-set essay film Rock Bottom Riser, following a lengthy career in the IFFR short programme for his renowned experimental works which began with Notes from a Bastard Child at IFFR 2008 and most recently with The Watchmen in IFFR 2017.
The full June film programme will be announced on 20 May!
Selection of film stills of Bright Future 2021
Film Still: All About My Sisters
Film Still: BERG
Film Still: Damascus Dreams
Film Still: OK Computer
Film Still: Phoenix
Film Still: Rock Bottom Riser
Film Still: The Son
Film Still: Thomas der Hochspringer
Bright Future selection
- All About My Sisters, Wang Qiong, 2021, USA, world premiere
- BERG, Joke Olthaar, 2021, Netherlands, world premiere
- Damascus Dreams, Émilie Serri, 2021, Canada, world premiere
- Faya Dayi, Jessica Beshir, 2021, Ethiopia/USA/Qatar
- A felicidade das coisas, Thais Fujinaga, 2021, Brazil, world premiere
- Lumina, Samuele Sestieri, 2021, Italy, world premiere
- OK Computer, Pooja Shetty/Neil Pagedar, 2020, India
- Phoenix, Bram Droulers, 2021, Belgium/France/UK, world premiere
- Rock Bottom Riser, Fern Silva, 2021, USA
- The Son, Noushin Meraji, 2021, Iran
- Thomas der Hochspringer, Leri Matehha, 2020, Germany, international premiere
- Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: a History of Folk Horror, Kier-La Janisse, 2021, USA