The Locarno Film Festival, an important annual Summer meeting around arthouse cinema, also marks the start of a stretch of late Summer and early fall festivals. For IFFR, the Swiss festival holds a great opportunity to start new coproductions, celebrate supported talents, introduce former festival highlights, and of course meet with the industry.
Open Doors - Rotterdam Lab Award
Locarno's Open Doors initiative and IFFR Pro's Rotterdam Lab have joined hands in collaboration this year. One of the awards given to Open Doors projects will be the Rotterdam Lab Award which will offer a valuable continuation of the work at Open Doors during the Rotterdam Lab at the 49th International Film Festival Rotterdam in January 2020.
Following individual meetings with the participants, the awards will be handed out in Locarno by Inke van Loocke of IFFR Pro during the Open Doors awards ceremony, which will take place on Tuesday, 13 August at 11.30 AM at Spazio Cinema (Forum)
Rotterdam Lab collaboration
The new collaboration with Locarno's Open Doors is part of a larger expansion.Read more
IFFR highlights at Locarno
The Gender Swap Machine was part of the ID:gender(dot)net theme at IFFR 2016. We are now proud to re-introduce it at Locarno in a joined production, part of the programme: Histoire(s) du cinéma: Virtual Reality: Gender Bender . The machine is a virtual embodiment system that allows people to experience the world through another person’s eyes and body. Two people wear an Oculus Rift that uses 3D video to let them see with the other’s eyes. Furthermore, the users’ movements are synchronised and physical touch and intimate performances are used to create a true optical illusion. The artists want to use this experiment to examine gender identity, queer theory, intimacy and mutual respect.
Gender Swap MachineBeAnotherLab IFFR 2016 360′
What would it be like in someone else’s body? The Gender Swap Machine installation provides a unique virtual-reality experience questioning gender identity and intimacy.
On the evening of Thursday 28 January and the afternoon of Saturday 30 January 2016, there will be live performances at the Gender Swap Machine. The installation can be visited daily at Het Nieuwe Instituut from 28 January to 7 February 2016 from 10:00 - 17:00 (closed on Mondays).
Please note: it could happen that you will have to wait before taking part in the installation. Every session takes about 15 minutes. You can sign up through a schedule on the same day.
HBF & CineMart harvest
In the extensive film programme of Locarno we can celebrate four titles which are previously supported by IFFR Pro, through a presentation at CineMart or financial support through the Hubert Bals Fund (HBF)
- A Febre by Maya Da-Rin (HBF Script & Project development support in 2015)
- The Science of Fictions by Yosep Anggi Prasetya (HBF+Europe Minority Co-Production Support in 2018)
Concorso Cineasti del presente
- Baamum Nafi (Nafi's Father) by Mamadou Dia (HBF Script & Project development support in 2018)
- Der Unschuldige by Simon Jaquemet (presented at IFFR Pro’s CineMart in 2016)
Next to this VR highlight and HBF&CineMart Harvest, Locarno has a programme called Retrospettiva: Black Light. In this programme a big number of former IFFR films is selected.
- Abolição by Zózimo Bulbul (IFFR 2019 - Soul in the Eye)
- Baldwin's Nigger by Horace Ové (IFFR 2017 - Black Rebels)
- Borderline by Kenneth MacPherson (IFFR 2010 - Signals)
- Drylongso by Cauleen Smith (IFFR 2019 - Regained)
- Frantz Fanon: Black Skin, White Mask by Isaac Julien (IFFR 2004 - Isaac Julien Focus)
- Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai by Jim Jarmusch (IFFR 2000 - the bridge in the rain)
- Killer of Sheep by Charles Burnett (IFFR 2017 - Black Rebels)
- Putney Swope by Robert Downey (Sr) - 84 min. (IFFR 1984)
- Sweet Sweetback's Baad Asssss Song by Melvin Van Peebles (IFFR 2004 - Cinema Regained)
We spoke with Mamadou Dia about his first feature being selected at Locarno.Read the interview