IFFR 2023: Immersive Media
11 January 2023
Immersive Media is IFFR’s space for virtual, expanded and augmented reality. Gina Thorstensen’s interactive Kabaret is a playful ecological VR experience on the plight of coral reefs, complete with a singing shrimp. No Place But Here by Annie Nisenson and Dylan Valley uses virtual-reality technology to immerse us in the ‘Reclaim the City’ movement in Woodstock, South Africa.
Night Creatures, an augmented reality work originally commissioned by the Melbourne International Film Festival, conjures bat creatures who are able to pop into the flow of a real festival environment via the mobile phones of IFFR visitors.
- All Unsaved Progress Will Be Lost, Mélanie Courtinat, 2022, France
- By the Shore, Inoue Hiroki, 2023, Japan, world premiere
- Kabaret, Gina Thorstensen, 2023, Norway, world premiere
- Night Creatures, Isobel Knowles, Van Sowerwine, 2022, Australia, international premiere
- No Place But Here, Dylan Valley, Annie Nisenson, 2023, South Africa, world premiere
At IFFR, we celebrate the careers of radical filmmakers and visual artists. For our 52nd edition, we have carefully curated our Focus programmes of inspiring creatives. Read more about our Focus Programmes for 2023 or check out the programme to find these films.