50th edition in numbers
16 June 2021
Our exceptional 50th edition has officially come to a close. In a reimagined format, the festival kept its commitment to international filmmaking talent, showcasing 66 territories across its programme of 194 films – including 120 feature-length films and 74 short & mid-length titles. With audiences, filmmakers and industry mostly unable to join in person, new forms of connection were pioneered as record numbers of journalists covered the festival. Read on to see this milestone festival edition in numbers.
Managing director Marjan van der Haar: “It’s been rewarding to see the way our audiences and filmmakers engaged with our programme. I am inspired by our team who rose to the challenge of presenting IFFR in a new way, and our partners who continuously supported us.”
50th edition facts and figures
February and June programme
- 120 feature films (44 world premieres, 15 international premieres, 9 European premieres)
- 74 short & mid-length films (8 world premieres, 2 international premieres)
- 9 IFFR Talks
- 439 Live Q&As, introductions & pre-recorded interviews (‘Afterthoughts’)
- 16 Tiger Competition titles (14 world premieres, 2 international premieres)
- 14 Big Screen Competition titles (11 world premieres, 2 international premieres, 1 European premiere)
- 22 Ammodo Tiger Short Competition titles (13 world premieres, 8 international premieres, 1 European premiere)
- 2 BankGiro Loterij Audience Awards
- 7 Art Directions items (The Werner – Guerilla Cinema, Picture This, IFFR 100 and 4 virtual reality installations)
- 5 50th Specials (Tiger on the Loose, IFFR Plays Back ◀◀, IFFR Classics, IFFR Unleashed 50/50, Vive le cinéma!)
50th edition audience engagement
The 50th edition audience engagements encompass all visits from 1 March 2020 until 10 June 2021.
- 270,898 total visits – based on a survey sent to 10,777 ticket holders, with 3,489 respondents, IFFR calculated a resulting 1.7 per-household multiplier for online visits
- Online festival attendance amounts to 92.3% across IFFR 2021, while physical festival attendance reached 7.7%
- 15% increase in audience representation across the Netherlands: 21% of audiences in 2020 were based outside of the North and South Holland provinces. This representation increased to 36% during IFFR 2021 in February and June
- 18.831.356 YouTube views between 1 March 2020 and 10 June 2021
- 12,998 interactions with the Tiger on the Loose augmented reality art installations
- 3,496 interactions with The Werner – Guerilla Cinema, including 932 physical visits
The 50th edition education engagements encompass all visits from 1 March 2020 until 10 June 2021.
- 20,140 visits (both online and physical) by school children, students and teachers
- 72% of lessons and workshops took place physically in cinemas and schools, while 28% were online, in line with changing health regulations throughout the year and during the festival
The 50th edition press accreditations encompasses both February and June 2021.
- 536 journalists (95 Netherlands-based journalists and 441 international journalists)
- A substantial increase in international press accreditations (from 247 in 2020, to 441 in 2021)
- 61 countries represented in total
The 50th edition IFFR Pro figures cover participating guests between September 2020 and June 2021, including IFFR Pro Days (1 to 5 February 2021).
- 2,004 guests from the film industry, including:
- 166 participating filmmakers
- 754 CineMart guests, a 10% increase from IFFR 2020
- 100 countries represented, a 13.6% increase from IFFR 2020
- 4,492 visits to IFFR Pro activities, including online panels and Reality Checks sessions
- 951 CineMart one-on-one meetings facilitated
The 51st edition of IFFR will take place from 26 January to 6 February 2022.
Read more on IFFR 2021 highlights here